Top 25 Virat Kohli moments
As Virat Kohli turns 25 this year, we look at 25 most memorable moments of his career so far.
1. Kohli first came into the spotlight when he scored a gritty 90 for Delhi on the day of his father's demise. His captain termed it as an act of great commitment!
2. Who can forget India's victorious campaign at the 2008 U19 World Cup! It all started here for young Kohli, as he led his team to a WC victory.
3. In 2010, the youngster was named vice-captain of the Indian team in the absence of senior players and in the same year, he became the fastest to 1000 ODI runs.
4. A century against Bangladesh in the 2011 World Cup opener made him the first Indian batsman to hit a hundred on World Cup debut.
5. Kohli won a million hearts when he carried Sachin Tendulkar on his shoulders post the 2011 World Cup win, paying tribute to his idol.
6. Then came the Test series in Australia, where Kohli stood like a rock while everyone else fell. He scored his maiden Test hundred at Adelaide, becoming the only Indian to score a century in that series.
7. One of his best ODI innings has to be a swashbuckling 133* vs Sri Lanka at Hobart, where he steered India to an important win, chasing 321 runs with 13 overs to spare.
8. In the same match, Kohli smashed Sri Lanka bowler Lasith Malinga for 24 runs in an over! This over will surely go down as a memorable one.
9. His knock of 183 vs Pakistan in the 2012 Asia Cup was truly a cherishing one, as he surpassed Brian Lara with the highest individual score by any batsman against Pakistan in ODIs.
10. India were knocked out of the 2012 World Twenty20 and Kohli could been seen shedding tears. An emotional moment for him, a memory for his fans.
11. After a phenomenal run that year, he was named ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year.
12. He was also granted the Peoples Choice Awards for Favorite Sportsperson of the Year.
13. In 2013, Kohli took over as the captain of his franchise, Royal Challengers Bangalore in the sixth edition of the IPL.
14. A 29-ball 56* by the skipper was an innings to remember, as it helped his team beat Chennai Super Kings in an 8-over game!
15. Everyone remembers how he fell 1 run short of a well-deserved hundred, after being run-out on 99 against Delhi Daredevils in the same season. It was a heartbreak of sorts.
16. Virat Kohli became the first Indian captain to record a 5-0 series whitewash away from home, when he was chosen to lead India in MS Dhoni's absence. What a memorable outing!
17. We know it was Chris Gayle who started the Gangnam dance during the IPL. But when Kohli did the same after India won the 2013 Champions Trophy, it couldn't get any better!
18. Kohli was honoured with the Arjuna Award in 2013 for his outstanding contribution to the sport.Well-deserved, we say.
19. He was also appointed ambassador to the Border Security Force (BSF). Aren't we proud of him already?
20. Wait, there's another award coming! Virat Kohli was named "GQ Sportsman of the Year 2013".
21. His 52-ball 100* against Australia - the fastest hundred by an Indian found its way to the record books, as well as to the hearts of a million fans worldwide. Unforgettable!
22. After scoring two tons in the home series against Australia, Kohli became the fastest to 17 ODI centuries.
23. Despite being run-out on a duck, Kohli applauded his teammate Rohit Sharma's century in the 7th ODI vs Australia. What a lovely gesture!
24. The No.1 Ranking wasn't too far then. Post the Australia series, Kohli rocketed to the top position in ICC's ODI Rankings for batsmen for the first time in his career.
25. His new way of celebrating a hundred is a flying kiss with his bat! We loved the fist pumps, and we love this too!
He, along with the fab members of the Fan Advisory Board, plot new schemes to engage with fans and trouble shoot their problems.
Feel free to write to him on email@example.com.