T20 World Cup Overview - Form, Conditions and Favourites
Fresh after india's yet another loss to NZ, i thought lets have a quick overview of the T20 WC ..
There are lot of things that surprises me about a T20 WC. First it throws up surprise winners, second with advent of IPL, there are lot of T20 Specialists and youngsters given exposure to the shorter form of the game. Srilanka plays host to this years world cup.
* Rain * New venues, means fresh pitches * Humidity
So if you look at the conditions, it may seem unusual. Spinners may not get great purchase and it may suit genuine quick bowling with change of pace.
We have seen in last series where India Beat SL, new pitches having the effect during the course of the tournament.
* If we see the cricketing form Pakistan, West Indies, South Africa are the teams that have been winning t20's played in the last few weeks.
* Australia and NZ have new look teams. SL and India are always going to be the teams to beat in these conditions, even they it may be seamer friendly.
* England are not in a great space after losing test series against SA and current embroglio with KP, but who knows group stage wins can do there confidence a world of good.
* Who will upset whom? - This is question we dont have a definite answer, which remains a surprise, hope lesser known teams do good this time around.
My Top 5 Teams that have a chance of winning this WC
** West Indies - A lot has been said about there players, team unity. But with the power hitters, bowlers they have got, i think this is there chance to get into the semis and who knows go on for the glory.
** India - Without being baised, non sensical about what happened in the T20 match today, india has a good chance. Like in 2007 we have a young team, good fielders, know the conditions very well. Super 8's are going to be the key ..
** South Africa - Chokers, well yeahh, this time i seriously think they will get close or cross the hurdle. AB and the team is in good form, has allrounders and some exciting cricketers to back my chances for them in top 4.
** Srilanka - They always have been in top 4 in the major icc tournaments in the last decade. Hosts and with lot of SLPL, they will know conditions and use them to there full advantage. THing to worry for them is winning at home isnt a habit any more.
** New Zealand - Well, Semifinals of icc tournaments are a thing that they have reserved for them. They are the team along with WI to watch out for. Who knows the surprise winners i am talking about may just be them.
Lets enjoy this world cup and be ensured that some of the young talent that succeeds will get big bucks in the IPL 6 ..