Wednesday was the deadline for the franchises to name the players they would retain from their current squads. A media release issued by the BCCI over player retention after the meeting of the IPL GC on September 5 stated: “Up to including four players per franchise may be signed for retention of which only up to three shall be Indian players. The Player must have been included in the franchise’s registered squad for the 2010 season. The franchise and player must mutually agree to be retained and the player fee to be paid by the franchise to the player for the 2011 and 2012 Seasons.
The Retention list for the IPL teams is as followed
1) Royal Challengers Bangalore: Virat Kohli
2) Mumbai Indians: Sachin Tendulkar, Harbhajan Singh, Lasith Malinga, Kieron Pollard
3) Chennai Super kings: Murali Vijay, M.S.Dhoni, Suresh Raina, Albie Morkel
4) Rajasthan Royals: Shane Warne, Shane Watson
5) Delhi Daredevils: Virendra Sehwag
6) Kolkata Knight Riders: No players retained
7) Kings XI Punjab: No players retained
8) Deccan Chargers: No players retained
The player contract will be for a period of two years plus one year right of extension by franchise, as per the decision of the IPL’s governing council.
So the big players up for the grab are stalwarts like Rahul Dravid, Anil Kumble, Sourav Ganguly, Jacques Kallis, young guns like Yuvraj Singh, Gautam Gambhir, Robin Uthappa, Rohit Sharma and international stars like Brendon Mccullum, Ross Taylor, Chris Gayle, Adam Gilchrist, Andrew Symonds, David Warner and other.