The fate of IPL 2020 still remains uncertain
Earlier this month the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) took the decision to postpone the Indian Premier League (IPL) till April 15 after the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The Government of India on 24th March has enforced a 21-day (3 weeks) nationwide lockdown to curb the growing cases of COVID-19.
With all major sporting events across the globe being suspended/ postponed, the fate of IPL 2020 still remains uncertain. India and South Africa were scheduled to play three ODI matches where the first match was abandoned due to rain and the remaining two were called off. While the IPL which was scheduled to start on March 29 was deferred till April 15.
The BCCI President Sourav Ganguly, BCCI Secretary Jay Shah, and IPL Chairman Brijesh Patel were all part of the committee that took the call to postpone the league.
He also indicated that if the IPL manages to get underway after April 15 it will be hard to make up for the time lost and it will only be a truncated season.
“It will happen, because if it is April 15, then, in any case 15 days are gone, it has to be truncated. How truncated, how many games, I can’t say at the moment,” said Ganguly.
Ganguly told the Telegraph that he doesn’t know how things are going to pan out.
“I don’t know. We will have to wait and see how things pan out. I can’t say anything at the moment,” said Ganguly.
Reacting to the suspension of the IPL, BCCI President Sourav Ganguly had said that the decision to postpone IPL was made keeping in mind the safety and well-being of the players, staff and all those involved.